alt="Kinn rings styled"


14k vs 18k Solid Gold

Discover the timeless elegance of our solid 14k gold pieces, meticulously crafted to withstand everyday wear while embodying the highest quality and refined malleability.

Collections In The Story

alt="Hampshire House Bracelet with petite link chain bracelet"

Yellow Gold Jewelry

SEPTEMBER 16, 2019

All of our pieces are solid 14k gold—not plated, filled or vermeil—so they are durable but are malleable. We wanted to help breakdown the gold, so you can better understand the jewelry that you wear everyday. 

To start, solid gold is the most expensive and the highest in quality and gold content. It is also highly prized as solid gold does not tarnish or fade with repeated wear. Gold is often classified by a number, followed by "K" for karat. The numerical value tells you what percentage of pure gold your jewelry contains. While 24k is the most pure form of gold, they're also malleable and soft, so they're not the most feasible for everyday jewelry. To help balance the malleability, alloy is used to give strength and durability. 

One karat contains 1/24 pure gold--so the higher the karat amount, the more pure gold content a piece contains.
14k gold--what we use--contains 58% pure gold, the remaining 42% is an alloy of metals such as silver and copper. The alloy is what makes the gold stronger, and is perfect for everyday wear. Most people with metal sensitivities are recommended to wear 14k gold and up (not white gold though!)
18k gold contains 75% pure gold, and remaining 25% alloy. 18k gold is typically seen as a special occasion gold, such as engagement rings, anniversary rings, etc.
Since we started Kinn, we often get asked whether you can wear our jewelry if you're allergic to nickel. For most people, we would say yes, but would really depend on your sensitivity level. 

The term "nickel free" can be confusing since jewelry marked nickel free is still allowed to contain a very small amount of nickel, but it is such a tiny amount that it takes extremely sensitive instruments to measure it. 

Alternative option is to avoid base-metal alloys entirely, and use metals that are 100% nickel free, including Sterling Silver, Titanium. 

alt="Kinn dome rings styled"
alt="Kinn earrings styled"